What kind of skills are required of marketers in the future?
The working environment is transforming at an accelerating pace, forcing experts to continually increase their proficiency. You cannot be the best at everything however. That’s why you should make learning a strategic choice. What kind of skills should a marketer then pick up in order to secure future competence? In this blog I will discuss work life trends and what one should do about them.
Future skill requirement #1
Critical thinking and complex problem solving
The amount of information we have access to has skyrocketed during our lifetime. The overflowing newsfeed has dimmed the line between real and unreal as well as relevant and irrelevant. New perspectives have widened our world view, but at the same time our own responsibility for critically evaluating information has increased.
When all the information in the world is just a couple of swipes away and AI caters compilations and analyses out of it, it is left for the expert to understand it. The expert has to understand why certain information is important and how it could be used for complex problem solving.
How can I get better at this?
Read and study. Discuss matters with people who disagree with you. Get a mentor who challenges your ideas. Rationalize, question and dare to learn something new.
Future skill requirement #2
Creativity is the new must-have skill for the future. Humans have tried to work like machines for a long time, but the technological advancements have passed us on many levels. However, the increase of computing power should not be viewed as the enemy. Instead development of AI and robotics can liberate us from repetitive work to practice creativity. Complex problem solving requires creativity. Creativity on the other hand needs willingness to change.
What does this mean for my career?
Anomaly increases creativity, so forget the illusion about a perfect CV. Instead dare to diversify your skills. Diversity enrichens decision making and increases the capabilities for an organization to succeed. Therefore, don’t be sky to accept job offers from outside of your intended career path. Instead go ahead and boldly acquire experience.
Future skill requirement #3
Social skills and emotional intelligence
When our jobs become the jobs for machines, we should focus on what makes us humans. Being emotional is an inseparable part of humanity and it affects our decision making – whether we wanted it or not.
How can I increase my emotional intelligence?
Practice self-awareness and emotion management. Identify your sources of motivation. Exercise empathy in your everyday life. Improve your social skills. Take that sales job and sign up as a summer camp instructor. Value your relationships.
And what kind of skills do marketers then need?
At Arter we have divided the competence requirements of marketing into three categories: business understanding, skills needed to execute marketing and finally leadership. By developing these skill categories, we strengthen our own capabilities to succeed.
- What is marketing and brand building – and why are they important?
- What are the special characteristics of B2B marketing?
- What are the distinctive aspects of the industry and what kind of effect do they have?
- Who are our clients and what do they need?
- What kind of trends are there on the market and what should we be interested in?
- How can we conduct appropriate marketing which enables us to reach our trade goals?
- What should we measure and what kinds of targets should we set for marketing?
Verbal and visual communication skills and technical competence
- Fluent verbal communication skills and proficiency in linguistic genres.
- Ability to produce graphic designs, video and sound.
- Competence to use or to learn to use the programs needed to produce the works.
Management skills to lead one’s own and others’ work
- Setting targets for marketing to support business goals.
- Evaluating the needed resources and arranging them.
- Communicating the purpose of the work and selling it internally.
- Ability to accept and utilize change.
How many of these skills have you already checked out on your list? Which would you like to learn? If this sparked interest and Arter should be your next employer, please contact us through the open application form!